• PJHC minor Anna Thomas ’18 shared her experiences from her summer at the Rice Archaeological Field School in Tanzania.
• PJHC Steering Committee member Vivian Ho is quoted in a story about the effects of the oil downturn on health care prices.
• PJHC Steering Committee member Vivian Ho writes movingly on the need for compassion in the US healthcare system in her latest article.
• Rachael Peterson (PJHC ’12) is interviewed in this article on deforestation.
• PJHC Minor Caroline Brigham is co-captain of Rice’s Solar Decathlon Team. The Team will design and build a house for the 2017 competition. Read more.
• Read PJHC Minor Zara Khan‘s latest on Millennials: “They’re empathetic doers.”
• Read PJHC Minor Benito Aranda-Comer‘s latest, “If Rocinha Were Ours”.
• Read PJHC Minor Benito Aranda-Comer‘s latest on favela author Carolina Maria de Jesus.
• Read about the Susan McAshan Summer service Interns’ digital stories in the Rice News. The stories were screened at The PJHC Internship Closing Event on October 20.
• PJHC Minor Benito Aranda-Comer is studying abroad in Rio de Janeiro, and doing social media activism with RioOnWatch. Check out his latest article.
• Diana Strassmann discusses Wikipedia’s “bum rap” on American Radioworks. PJHC students contribute Wikipedia articles as part of the minor’s core courses. Dr. Strassmann directs the PJHC Program.
• PJHC alumnus Darren Arquero ’11 received the Philip Brett LBGT Studies fellowship at UC Berkeley to support his PhD research in ethnic studies.
• An article on burger wives — Ghanaian women whose husbands have migrated for work — by Colleen Fugate (PJHC Class of 2014) was published in Wherever Mag.
• Alum Amanda Macune is the 2015-16 Community Bridges Coordinator.
• Congratulations to PJHC Minor Kendall Post! Kendall received the 2015 Merfish Award in recognition of her sustained commitment to issues of social justice for women.
• Minor Jennifer Muturi brought back a project for Rice Engineers from her Susan McAshan Summer Service Internship in Ghana – See more at: Rice News
• Micaela Canales and K. C. Ho completed engaged research projects with their community partners, Good Neighbor Healthcare Center and Girls Inc. Read more.
• PJHC students shared their final projects at the fourth annual Community Bridges Spring Celebration.
• Minor Angela Aie is a Farb Summer Fellow! Check out photos from the YES Prep field day at Rice that Angela organized this spring.
• New Community Bridges Blog posts by minors Angela Aie and Jayme Smith.
• Dr. Michael Emerson, a member of the PJHC Steering Committee, presented the 2015 Brown Lecture on Teaching Excellence – See more at: Rice News.
• PJHC Steering Committee Member, Dr. Anthony Pinn, was elected to the American Theological Society, the oldest professional theological society in North America. – See more at: Rice News.
• Check out the Community Bridges Blog with entries by PJHC minors Maggie Colson, Kayla Hatchell, and Vickie Wang!
• Dr. Alex Byrd, a member of the PJHC Steering Committee, won the George R. Brown Award for Superior Teaching. Rice News article.
• Several PJHC minors won year-end awards. Congratulations to Kayla Hatchell, Sam Love, Shannon McNamara, Rachel Mitchell, Jennifer Muturi, Allison Shields, Kendall Post, and Madhuri Venkateswar!